Solar usage has grown in popularity from a demand for sustainable energy. More efficient panels have lead to a drop in costs for photovoltaic cells.
Roof Size & System Size
In the UK, the average 1-2 bedroom household uses 3700-kilowatt hours (kwh) over 12 months, as calculated by energy suppliers. This works out to between 7-10 kilowatts a day.
A solar panel output ranges from 225 watts to 350 watts. A 10-panel system is ample for a 1-2 bedroom household. It can save up to and over half of a household’s energy usage!
Advantages & Disadvantages Of Solar Panel Systems
Due to increasing electricity bills, there are many advantages for solar panel installation, making it a good long-term investment. Converting to solar is even easier with the Green Deal (a government-funded scheme announced July 2020, available for 1 year from September 2020). Other advantages are:
- Save half or more of household energy bills.
- Environmental benefits – No ongoing harmful emissions.
- Reduces Greenhouse gases (GHGs).
- Moving from fossil fuel to a carbon-neutral footprint.
- Installation and panel maintenance have become cheaper, adding to further savings.
- Consistent care will enable your panels to last for up to 25-30 years.
The production of photovoltaic panels can indirectly affect the environment. Nevertheless, solar energy pollutes far less than any other energy source. Other disadvantages are:
- Cost of installation can put some people off moving to solar. However, it can be partly or fully offset with the government’s Green Deal scheme, as stated above.
- Sun hours decrease in winter. A way of managing this is to purchase a solar battery to store power.
- Pigeons and pests nesting underneath panels. This can be addressed by pigeon proofing your panels.
When considering having a solar system installed, there are many options to select exactly what you want, at a cost you can afford. An exceptional example of high quality and affordable pricing is: directsolarcare.co.uk/contact/
Whether or not solar power is something that interests you, more uses are found every day for solar energy and places where it can be applied.
In this humble blogger’s opinion, the advantages of solar energy on a domestic level far outweigh the disadvantages and solar power will be a big part of shaping the future and how we live.